Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

Where to start? We've been pretty busy this month and have actually had a day or two of mostly clear skies. Not that we're complaining, mind you. We still enjoy the rain and the cool temperatures. Yesterday it was clear in the afternoon and the temperature was in the low 80's and strangely enough, it felt warmer than that. I'm sure it was just me though.

I have to include a comment made by Kevin recently. He was complaining about all the trees around here and claimed "it's just not natural!" Poor kid. We should have taken him out of the desert a long time ago.

A couple of weeks ago Jacobs had an employee appreciation event at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. We spent the morning there and then I took the family out to Marshall to show them where I work. Here are the pictures:




The boys sitting in a Space Shuttle Main Engine.


And standing in front of a Saturn V F-1 engine. There were 5 of these at the bottom of the rocket. Huge!

If you look really close you can see Dana and the boys at the bottom of this Saturn I. I got a nice closeup picture of them but Dana doesn't like it and banned me from ever letting it see the light of day under punishment of something really bad and painful I'm sure. Anyway, this rocket (and a few others just out of the picture) are right across from my building so I enjoy seeing them everyday.


Now we're in the Butterfly House at the Botanical Gardens. Here's my attempt at being one with nature and all that jazz.



Cade was walking just like he looks in this picture. We smeared some "butterfly food" (sugar water) on his arm in hopes of catching a butterfly - well, not catch but have one land on him. He held his arm out nice and level for the whole time we were there. Unfortunately, no luck with the butterflies.





He even tried enticing them by offering a nice place to land near the greenery.



Watching the model train make its rounds.





A former coworker of mine warned me the bugs were much bigger in Alabama. She wasn't kidding! Here we are valiantly fighting off this man-eating ant! You'll notice only the boys took on this beast. Dana, the girly girl, stayed a safe distance away.

And now soccer is over! Good thing too because I stink as a coach. Cameron's team lead 2-0 going into the last 8 minute quarter of his last game and ended up in a tie! I couldn't believe it! Kevin's last game looked like it would be a blow out as we were down 3-0 after the first quarter. Going into the last quarter, down 4-1, I switched them around and put a new goalie in. With just over a minute left we tied it up at 4-4. Kevin scored two of those goals, thank you very much!Everyone was really getting into the game and the intensity level of the kids just kept ratcheting up. The other team finally scored on our rookie goalie to win but it was so much fun to watch. The kids weren't even disappointed because they had so much fun. It was a great way to end the season.


Here's my star 10 yr. old soccer player. Seeing this picture reminds me of the t-ball picture I have of him where I'm down on one knee and still taller than he is. Can't do that anymore.


Kevin's team. Sort of. 3 kids are missing.


And here's part of Cameron's team. 4 kids mising. Don't these Bears look intimidating? Too bad looks don't count for much on the field.
This picture makes me think of one I posted a year or two ago of Cade at the soccer field when he was still little. He looks so big here!

I taught the kids how to throw a frisbee up in the air so that it comes back to you. Kevin and Cameron got it. Cade just chucks it - but look at his windup!


Cameron's school had a fun day last week and they brought in several inflatable slides. Cameron claimed it was the best day of his life.

Cade had fun too and he looks like a pro at the net.

During Memorial Day weekend, Decatur has the Alabama Jubilee. It's like a mini balloon fiesta. The balloon glow and balloon rides were rained out this day but it was fun, and free, to visit. The vendor's row and rides, however, were very not free.

We drove all the way down there so Cameron could get eaten by a fish!

Hmm. It's usually Cameron making the faces and Kevin smiling. I wonder what happened here?


Cade loved the bubble blower.


I'll leave you with this scary face. And don't worry. His head isn't as bald as it looks here.

2 comments:

Kim for the Kings said...

What a fun-filled post! Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories!

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Looks like lots of fun! I have to agree with Kevin, or was it Cameron, though. That many trees just isn't natural! Once a Western Kansan, always a Western Kansan!

Hope the allergies aren't too insufferable!