Friday, April 9, 2010

Still behind on pictures so this post will almost get us caught up.


I'll start with one picture I meant to include last time. The intermission at the Supercross race consisted of a freestyle show. If you've never seen people backflipping a motorcycle in person, it's pretty neat. This guy is doing a nac-nac (kicks one leg over to the other side of the motorcycle) backflip.





On to slightly more current news. The boys decided at nearly the last minute to participate in our church's AWANA Grand Prix (pinewood derby). They designed their cars and I helped with the power tools. Then I showed them how to sand the wheels and polish the axles and let them have at it.


Before the race.





Kevin built a tank and named it, appropriately enough, "Tank". I refused to be one of those pee wee dads and let/made him do almost all the work himself. Um, the only problem is that Tank didn't quite look the same come race time but more on that in a minute.





Cameron named his car "Kar". Geez, my boys are original.







Kevin got 3rd place in his age group! Cameron's car was quick out of the gate but didn't quite make the top 3. I think he would have done better if we had brought his car up in weight. See that bandage on my hand? Funny story on that. I'll start with a disclaimer. The following images are graphic so proceed at your own queasiness if that's even a word.



Here's my re-enactment of the incident leading up to the bandaged hand. Kevin's car was overweight so we needed to drill some holes in it. I was in a bit of a hurry and complained to Kevin that I couldn't put the car down because I'd either screw up the wheels or break the barrel. So I drilled it like any good ol' Alabamian would do and held it in my hand. See where this is going?




"See boys, this is not the way you'd normally do this but since I'm aware of how stupid this is I couldn't possibly drill a hole in my hand. It's all about awareness and I have it in spades."



At the precise moment I decided not to go any deeper because I was afraid I'd poke a 3/8" hole in the top of Tank, I poked a 3/8" hole in the top of Tank. And in my hand. I show it going all the way through my hand in this reenactment because it's more dramatic and makes for better ratings.



This actually happened in the parking lot at church. So we drove home to get Dana and with one hand, I popped the turret off Tank and sent the boys back to church with Dana while I went to the ER. The people at the race helped Kevin ADD weight to Tank since it was now underweight. How insulting. The nurse in the ER made it hurt a million times worse when she scrubbed it and darn near made me pass out. I'm tough like that. She told me she can't stitch hamburger meat so she wrapped it up and sent me on my way with a warning not to be stupid anymore like the guy that was in a day before with a nail stuck in his thigh.


Then I discovered the joys of living in a small town. Despite my telling Dana to keep it on the DL, almost everyone at church already knew what happened by the time she arrived. Part of the reason was that someone in the ER overheard me talking about it and called someone at the race and that person blabbed and so on. My ego hurt a lot worse than my hand. For the record, I stuck my hand right between my index and middle finger. No damage to anything but skin and fat.



Moving on.





Dana has taken up an exercise routine led by some hottie in a little black outfit. Now that I noticed her on the TV, I think I might start this routine too. It's no wonder why Cade likes to do it too. I think he's running in place here. Dana says he's actually pretty good at doing several of the exercises without stopping.





Soccer season is upon us. This was right before Cade's first practice. He's wearing the cleats Cameron wore when he started at 6 yrs. old. I'm proud to report that Cade is NOT the worst player on the team even though he is the youngest. We thought the minimum age was 4 so he got excited about getting to play. On signup day, we found out the minimum age is 5. When they saw how sad he was, they said he can play if we just acknowledge he's underage and we think it's ok. So we signed him up and now I'm "coaching" a pack of 5 and 6 year olds in addition to the 9-12 year olds. That's what you call a glutton for punishment.
I'll post some pictures of the boys with their uniforms when I get around to getting them downloaded. Cade's team got whooped in their first game but Kevin and Cameron's team cruised to a 7-0 win in theirs. Kevin scored 4 and 3 of those were BEAUTIFUL shots from fairly far back. Boy, they were pretty. We celebrated the boys' efforts by overdosing on sugar and ruining our lunch with a cookie/ice cream sandwich at Nestle Toll House after the games.




1 comment:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Somehow I missed this post! We loved the pinewood derby Jackson participated in for Cub Scouts - biggest thing we learned was that the cars that looked like skateboards (i.e. very flat and thin) were the fastest. We'll be trying that next year!

Got a good laugh out of your power tool incident, btw :)