Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Free at last! And a new toy.

Baseball is completely over for both boys and now Dana and I don't know what to do with ourselves in the evenings. Ah! We'd better enjoy it now before soccer starts up again...

About 2-1/2 weeks ago, Dana and I dropped the boys off with my mom and dad and headed off to Phoenix to celebrate our 13th anniversary (June 3). We drove for hours on end, had no free time, baked under the Phoenix sun all day and drove for hours and hours again to get home. Why did we do it, you ask? Dana wanted to go shopping for this - more or less.



What evil thing is this lurking in our garage? And what did it do to our beloved Expedition?
Ok, I'll turn up the lights. We went looking for a Nissan Altima and came back with a 2006 Ford Fusion. That's the first time I bought a car without knowing exactly what I was getting beforehand. I had to go back to the hotel to look it up. (How embarrassing!) But after driving it back to back with an Altima we decided we liked it just as much as the Nissan - some things better, some not quite as much but very comparable overall. Add in the fact that it was $1000 cheaper, 1 year newer and had 20k fewer miles than all the other Altimas we saw, and we had ourselves a winner. This one has a 4 cylinder and a very rare 5 speed. We're having a blast rowing the gears again after driving nothing but automatics for so long. This is exciting stuff, people!

Oh, and we still have the Expedition. It's been relegated to taking up space beside the house. We'll still use it for longer trips and for off-roady type stuff. Just for grins we asked what the trade-in would be and had to try very hard not to laugh in the salesman's face when they made their offer. Of course, they called all over town and gave us the best deal that they possibly could and they would probably be losing money on it and blah blah blah.

Alright. Fine. No one else seems to share my excitement about all things motorized. Just wait until I finish my V8 powered Igloo cooler though. You'll be wanting to take it for a ride.
And on to family (people) news.

The Father's Day conversation at our house went something like this.
Dana (real gruff like): "If you want something for Father's Day, then go pick it out yourself, you big oaf. Just don't spend much of my money."
Me (in my angelic voice): "But, my dearest, sweetheart wife. I don't want anything for Father's Day because I have everything I need right here at home. You and our three wonderful boys."
I might have paraphrased a little but you get the idea. So there I was at Harbor Freight and I stumbled across a cool, portable hammock. I've wanted a hammock for years but I'm too cheap to pay for one. This one was on sale for $35! Happy Father's Day to me, indeed. I set it up as soon as I got home to try it out. Little did I realize I won't ever get to use it. Every time I turned around one of the kids was on it. Here's proof.



Kevin drug it around in front of the TV and made himself comfortable for the evening. But that's MY hammock! I can't wait to take it camping.



And finally, I had to include a cute picture of #3 with his bathtub letters stuck to him. It was his idea, I just helped put them on.

3 comments:

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Ford Fusion? I guess I'll have to google it! We still have our Chrysler 300M. It sounds like I'll keep driving it, and it will become Paige's car in a couple of years. Then we would like something bigger. Yes, gas prices keep climbing, but out kids keep growing! The backseat space seems to be shrinking, so we'll probably go with an SUV eventually.

I hope you get some R & R in your hammock soon, Mike!

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Me again. I saw a Ford Fusion at the grocery store today. It was black w/ a rear spoiler & some cool chrome accents. It was very sharp!

Mike & Dana said...

Yeah, it's a nice looking car. There aren't a whole lot of them out there though so no one knows anything about them.

We're sure enjoying it so far. Not long after it's paid for, Kevin will be ready to start driving. Hopefully, by then gas prices will go back at least to reasonable levels and we can get another SUV. Like you mentioned, the older the boys get the more room they're going to need.