Saturday, May 10, 2008

Too busy

A lot has gone on in the last month + so I'll try to fill you in without boring you to death.

Soccer season is over. Kevin's team won the last 3 to finish 4-1-3. They had some GREAT games this year and Kevin really improved throughout the season, especially at goalie. Cameron's team won their last game to finish 3-5. Just like last season, they showed flashes of brilliance in one game then would turn into a field full of turkeys for the next game.

About the time that was finishing, both boys started playing baseball. Cameron's team moved up to machine pitch this year and I spent a lot of time worrying about how everything was going to work out and why I signed up as coach again. Judging by our practices, they looked terrible! However, once the games started, I'm proud to say they've done a great job. Once again, we don't keep score in this league (Christian Baseball League) but according to some of the parents who were keeping count, they've won their first 3 games. Last night's team was a second year team and they were pretty darn good. If we only won one game all season I would have wanted it to be that one. The other team was accusing me of running up the score (I wasn't and I wasn't keeping score) so they started playing stupid until I yelled at them. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit, I turned into one of THOSE coaches. But I refused to let them cheat so blatantly. As it turns out, they didn't know the rules (that's why they thought I was running the kids when I shouldn't) but they were trying to be a stickler for the rules only when they wanted to and when it benefited them. Whatever. Our little kids stuck it to 'em.

Kevin's team moved over to the city league which is way more competitive then the CBL he had been playing in. I was a little surprised, but his team is doing really well. I've lost count but I think they're something like 2-4 and getting better. Kevin got off to a rough start with batting. I think he got it in his head that he couldn't hit so he just quit swinging. We've been practicing and practicing and I think he's starting to come out of that slump. Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for him. Unfortunately, like last year, Kevin spends all his time in the outfield so he's losing interest in the sport. I'll be suprised if he plays again next year.

Ok, so on to pictures. Cameron had a field trip to Albuquerque a few weeks ago and I went with him. They went to a science museum and stayed the night there then went to the zoo the next day. We had a blast! Here are some of the pictures from that trip:


Bubble-head Cameron


Yours truly and my highwire act


Cam and a t-rex (with a Sizemosaurus in the background). I voted for sleeping here under the dinosaurs but was overruled by the kids. It got pretty crowded anyway.


Cameron the one-legged flamingo


Stripey-faced Cameron


Long-necked Cam
And finally, growly lion claw Cameron. You had no idea he was so good at impersonating animals, did you?
Cameron also celebrated his 7th birthday in April. We had a party for him at the bowling alley.
The birthday boy's, um, unique bowling style
Transformers cake - what else would it be?
Cade liked the icing
The birthday party attendees.
Kevin is such a sweet big brother. He helped Cade bowl every time. With the blazing speed Cade put on the ball, the boys had time for a leisurely rest on the lane.
I haven't talked about Cade much because he's just been caught up in the shuffle of practice and games. He's a trooper though and is very well behaved at all these events.
Faux-hawk
From the side
Cade was so proud of himself for learning to ride the BIG 4-wheeler. He mostly goes around in circles in the driveway but he can control it.

1 comment:

Joann said...

Gee, I don't know what my favorite picture is -- Cameron's animalisms? Cade's mohawk? Kevin's great big-bro picture? They're all great! Thanks for giving us these glimpses.