Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Corn Syrup Incident

I meant to post this picture last time but I forgot. That's OK though because I think this is worthy of a entry of its own. What would you think if you walked into your pantry and saw this? I didn't know what to make of it at first but recent events made it pretty easy to figure out.

Here's the story. One evening after Kevin and I got home from running errands I walked into the kitchen and my feet immediately stuck to the floor. Grumbling, I took a wet paper towel and cleaned up the sticky area. Then noticed some more, and more, and more. Something was strung across the floor from the sink to the oven to the refrigerator to the trash can and back again. Dana denied knowing anything but I secretly accused her anyway. Cade was in bed asleep so it couldn't have been him and Cameron swore it wasn't him. So I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned until I thought I got it all but I still couldn't figure out what the mess was. That is, until the next morning when I opened the pantry and saw the corn syrup. As I took a step towards it, my foot stuck to the floor so bad I thought I pulled the skin off. I found two sizable puddles of sticky goo and some streaks down the wall. I also found part of a plastic cap that looked suspiciously like the corn syrup lid. So here's what I figured out. Cade used a popcorn can to stand on and inspect the shelves. Somehow, he was able to reach this bottle. Obviously he dropped it and broke the lid. Now the funny part. I figure he picked up the other half of the lid and threw it away. He also must have been running around in a panic trying to figure out how to hide what he'd done. That explains the trails back and forth across the kitchen. When he realized the lid was a no-go, he found the first suitable substitute, stuck it on and put the bottle back hoping no one would notice. Makes sense, doesn't it? Aside from the mess, I thought it was pretty cute and creative.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

A man after my own heart - go straight for the item with the most sugar! I hope you paste this picture in his baby book. Priceless!